A Family Guide To Glacier National Park
Creating trip plans that include a family friendly park for the kids can be challenging but oh so rewarding. At Glacier Highline we understand that kids just need to stretch their legs sometimes, so we put together this family guide to Glacier National Park which is filled with activities you can do with kids at Glacier.
1. Preparation and Packing
2. Travel Accommodations
3. Glacier National Park, Montana Lodging
4. Best Family-Friendly Places to Eat
5. Family-Friendly Activities
Read on for a list of the best family-friendly activities, lodging, and places to eat near Glacier National Park.
Preparation and Packing
Book in advance. We highly suggest planning any adventures or tours on your trip ahead of time. Things tend to fill up so you will want to call and book ahead or at least know the booking process to get the best ideal day and time to fit your itinerary.
Visit during the appropriate season. Our season tends to run Memorial Day through Labor Day as a good rule of thumb here in the Flathead Valley. Most of this is all weather-dependent. Going-To-The-Sun Road tends to open anywhere from late June to mid-July just depending on the snowfall we had the winter before and the plowing process. The “shoulder season” is also a beautiful time to explore all we have to offer, but just know that not all attractions may be open.
Pack for everything. Our weather is very unpredictable and who knows you may end up in some inclement weather. Generally, our days are hot but our nights and mornings are cool so we suggest packing and wearing light layers. So you can add or shed layers as needed throughout your adventure for the day.
Travel to Glacier
If you choose to fly into Montana, the closest airport is Glacier Park International (FCA) which will bring you right into all the action. You may find flights are a bit more spendy or you may not be able to make that work for your schedule. You could also look into a few other airports that may make it worth the drive. You could try Missoula International Airport (MSO) or even Spokane International Airport (GEG). Car rentals have been in high demand so be sure to book your set of wheels using these 3 Glacier International Airport Car Rental Tips.
If you choose to drive to Montana, you can enjoy the countryside with a good ol’ fashion road trip. Load up the car and see firsthand why we are called the Big Sky State. We have lots of ground to cover here and most people when checking MT off their bucket list make the trek to experience Yellowstone National Park as well we Glacier National Park.
Glacier National Park, Montana Lodging
There are many family-friendly accommodations such as Airbnb and VRBO, which have tons of options for groups both small and large here in the area. There are also lots of hotels here in the area to rest your head as well. There really is a bit of everything for just about anyone around here. You can even check out our Glacier Highline lodging options! Even if we don’t have the dates you need, reach out and we might be able to point you in the right direction.
If you’re looking for lodging that is close to the action and Glacier National Park, here are a few specific options:
- West Glacier KOA
- Glacier Highline Lodging
- West Glacier RV Park
- Lodging inside Glacier with Xanterra
- VRBO or AirBNB in the Coram/ West Glacier Area
Best Places to Eat
As you probably know, traveling with a crew requires good food stops to keep everyone happy and fueled up. Here is a list of our favorites:
- La Casita (West Glacier) – Enjoy authentic Mexican Cuisine inside the Discovery Center.
- Tower Grill and Coffee Shop (Coram) – Serving up some of the best meals this side of the Continental Divide.
- Eddy’s Cafe (Apgar) – Fill your belly right off the trail at this cafe and don’t forget the dessert!
- Backslope Brewery (Columbia Falls) – Pick a beer and pair it with a delicious meal. You can’t pick a bad option off this menu!
- Looking for a meal in Whitefish? Take a stroll down Central Ave and see what catches your eye. Pick up some Huckleberry Hot Wings at the Bulldog Saloon and maybe you will also find a gift or two for friends or family.
Family-Friendly Park and West Glacier Activities
- Glacier Highline – We may be biased, but we are the poster child for FAMILY FUN! We are flyin’ high with over 50+ obstacles, ziplining through both our lower and upper ropes courses, and a 250’ exit zip line! Need more convincing? We have an inflatable water slide over our swimming pond and even more new activities planned for 2022. With age-appropriate activities for all, we hope to see you in the trees!
- Amazing Fun Center – Our neighbors at the Amazing Fun Center have fun for the whole family as well! Race your crew in the maze or on the go-kart track, play a round of mini-golf, or even take your shot at bank shot basketball!
- Raft with Glacier Raft – This is a must-do while you are near Glacier National Park. Take either a scenic or white water trip down the Middle Fork of the Flathead River. You won’t regret the memories that were made at this family friendly park. If you sign up for the Park-N-Paddle package, you can save 10% on tickets for the Glacier Highline adventure pass and the ½ day raft trip!
Glacier Highline is Montana’s premiere family-friendly aerial adventure park featuring 50 high-flying treetop activities and more!